Oral cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer, with 30,000 new cases every year. Therefore, an oral cancer screening is one of the most important parts of preventative dentistry. Early diagnosis and treatment could be the difference between life and death.
At John Khoury Dental, Dr. Khoury performs thorough dental screenings to stay ahead of potential problems.
Symptoms of Oral Cancer Dr. Khoury Looks For
Dentists typically do oral cancer screenings as part of a routine checkup to spot warning signs early. If a patient shows symptoms that may indicate oral cancer or head and neck cancers, Dr. Khoury may want to do additional tests on abnormal tissue and cells.
The common symptoms of oral cancer are:
- Red or white patches or speckles on the roof or floor of the mouth
- Oral bleeding without clear cause
- Swelling, bumps, lumps, or erosion of gums, lips, or other areas of the mouth
- Pain or numbing in the mouth, face, or neck
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing, or moving the mouth
- Sores on the mouth, face, or neck that last longer than two weeks
- Moving teeth
- Persistent sore throat
Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
People with a family history of cancer are at a higher risk for oral cancer. However, those with no family history who engage in dangerous activities can also put themselves at risk.
Factors that increase the risk for oral cancer are:
- Using tobacco products (cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, snuff, pipes, etc.)
- Frequent alcohol consumption
- Long-term sun exposure
- History of oral cancer
Get Your Oral Cancer Screening Today
For a thorough oral cancer screening in Oxford, MI, call John Khoury Dental at (248) 969-7645. You can also come to the office at 1120 S Lapeer Rd, Suite 100, Oxford, MI 48371.